Council tax checker: How do you check your council tax band?

Martin Lewis says ‘some people owed £1,000’ in council tax

When working out how much council tax you need to pay, there are some key things you need to know about your property first. You’ll need to find out what council tax band your property is in, and then you can find out the council tax rate you have to pay, which is set by your local council.

How do you check your council tax band?

You can check what council tax band a home in England or Wales is in via the Government website HERE.

To find out what council tax band your home is in, you will need to enter your postcode.

From here, you should be able to find your property on the Council Tax valuation list.

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

In most cases, council tax bands are usually alphabetical from A through to H.

H is usually the highest council tax band a property can be in.

Properties are placed into a band based on what price they would have sold for in April 1991.

Once you have found out what your council tax band is, you can then find out how much council tax you have to pay.

Council tax rates differ from council to council, so you will need to visit your local council website to see the council tax rates in your area.

Can you get your council tax bill reduced?

People who are struggling to pay their council tax bill may be eligible for extra support.

Local councils offer their own council tax reduction schemes, and people with a low income or are claiming certain benefits may be eligible.

People with disabilities or students may also be eligible for council tax discounts.

Can you get a council tax discount during lockdown? Who is eligible? [ANALYSIS]
Do you pay council tax in February and March? [INSIGHT]
Phil Spencer shares concern over property tax ‘shake-up’ [VIDEO]

Whether you are eligible for council tax reduction depends on the following factors, according to the Government website:

  • Where you live – each council runs its own scheme
  • Your circumstances (e.g. income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
  • Your household income – this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
  • If your children live with you
  • If other adults live with you

Several councils are also offering additional support to people in light of Covid-19.

MoneySavingExpert explains: “Many councils are offering extra support such as payment holidays for residents who need help.”

According to the finance site, support from councils is offered on a “case-by-case basis”, but many councils may be able to “offer payment holidays” or give “council tax reductions up to 100 percent on bills”.

The Government finder tool HERE can help you find the website for your local council.

Source: Read Full Article