Instagram wants you to 'declare your pronouns' with NEW section on everyone's profile
INSTAGRAM is making it easier for you to publicly display your pronouns on your profile.
The platform has added a new feature so users can let people know how they'd like to be referred to, which might be "she/her" or "they/them".
You can pick up to four pronouns but can add more in the Bio section if you wish.
Users will also get to choose whether their pronouns are only viewable to followers or can be seen by the public.
Instagram has 28 pronouns you can select from including a lot of non-gender specific pronouns like "ze/zir/zie".
You can't select pronouns that aren't on the list below.
Here’s all the pronouns you can select under Instagram’s new pronoun feature…
Anyone who would like a new pronoun added to the list can fill out a form and suggest the addition to Instagram.
Instagram tweeted: "Add pronouns to your profile.
"The new field is available in a few countries, with plans for more."
Those few countries are the US, the UK, Canada and Australia.
Instagram has added the feature with the aim of giving users more control over their identity.
Many users were already typing their preferred pronouns in their Instagram Bio to avoid being misgendered.
Facebook actually started allowing users to define their pronouns back in 2014.
However, the only options available were “he/him, she/her, and they/them.”
Instagram's list is far more inclusive.
How to add my pronouns on Instagram
On the app, open up your Instagram profile and click "Edit Profile".
This button is displayed underneath your profile picture.
If you're based in one of the countries that the feature is live in, you'll see a new 'Pronouns' section under your username.
Click the empty box next to the word 'Pronouns'.
Now you'll be able to type in your preferred pronouns as long as they're on the list above.
The section states: "Add up to 4 pronouns to your profile so that people know how to refer to you.
"You can edit or remove them at any time."
They'll also be the option to "Show to followers only".
Once you're happy, click done.
If you want to add more pronouns, you can still type them into your Instagram Bio.
Instagram – the key facts
Here’s what you need to know…
- Instagram is a social network for sharing photos and videos
- It was created back in October 2010 as an iPhone-exclusive app
- A separate version for Android devices was released 18 months later
- The app rose to popularity thanks to its filters system, which lets you quickly edit your photos with cool effects
- When it first launched, users could only post square 1:1 ratio images, but that rule was changed in 2015
- In 2012, Facebook bought Instagram for $1billion in cash and stock
- In 2018, some analysts believe the app is worth closer to $100billion
- In October 2015, Instagram confirmed that more than 40billion photos had been uploaded to the app
- And in 2018, Instagram revealed that more than a billion people were using the app every month
In other news, the deadline deadline for accepting WhatsApp's new privacy policies is fast approaching.
Facebook is facing backlash in the US over plans to create a version of Instagram for children under 13.
And, China is claiming to be a world leader in 6G technology, according to reports.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at email@example.com
Source: Read Full Article